Applying filters to your video calls is one of the exciting new features Apple added to the FaceTime app with iOS 17. FaceTime filters make it simple to get the desired look, whether you want to make your conversations more entertaining or just look better. I’ll walk you through how to use filters on FaceTime call on iOS 17 in this guide so you can start enhancing the visual appeal and engagement of your video calls.
Things to keep in mind while using FaceTime filters
- Make sure to confirm whether or not your device supports FaceTime filters because not all iPhone devices do.
- To use FaceTime filters, you need to be on a video call.
Devices that can use FaceTime camera effects
FaceTime camera effects are a fun way to spice up your video calls with friends and family by bringing some originality and personality. The more recent iPhone models have more sophisticated cameras that enable more complex effects, like the ability to blur your background or use virtual backgrounds. The list of iPhone models that support FaceTime camera effects are listed below:
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 15
- iPhone 15 Plus
- iPhone 15 Pro
- iPhone 15 Pro Max
Tips and Tricks to use FaceTime filters on iPhone
Adding filters to your iPhone’s FaceTime calls is a simple and enjoyable way to spice them up. Below, I’ve listed a few tips and tricks to use FaceTime filters on iPhone.
- Experiment with different filters: Don’t be afraid to try out different filters to find the one that works best for you. There are many options available, from simple color filters to more complex augmented reality filters.
- Preview before applying: Before applying a filter during a FaceTime call, make sure to preview it first. This way, you can make sure the filter looks good on you and doesn’t obstruct your face or distort your features.
- Adjust filter intensity: If you find that a filter is too intense or overwhelming, you can adjust its intensity level. This will allow you to find a balance that works best for you.
- Use filters to set the mood: FaceTime filters can be a fun way to set the mood during a call. For example, you can use a filter that adds hearts or confetti to celebrate a special occasion or a filter that makes you look like you’re in outer space to add a playful vibe.
- Remember to turn off filters: If you’re using FaceTime for a serious or professional call, remember to turn off filters beforehand. While they can be fun and lighthearted, they may not be appropriate for all situations.
- Use filters for privacy: If you’re in a public place or don’t want others to see your surroundings, you can use a filter that adds a virtual background. This will help to protect your privacy and keep the focus on you.
- Have fun with it: FaceTime filters are meant to be fun and playful, so don’t be afraid to let loose and enjoy yourself during a call. Whether you’re using filters to make silly faces or add a personalized touch, remember to have fun with it!
How to become a Memoji
Having a Face ID-equipped iPhone is necessary to use this feature. This is due to the fact that the iPhone will translate your movements, facial expressions, and voice into the actions of your character by capturing various aspects of your behavior. Follow the below-mentioned steps to use this feature:
- Launch the FaceTime app and start a video call or answer an incoming video call.
- While on the FaceTime call, tap the Effects button (star-shaped icon) or tap the screen if you can’t see it.
- Look for the Memoji icon and select it. Now, swipe through the options at the bottom.
- Choose a Memoji that you want to use during the call.
Congratulations! You’ve succeeded in using a Memoji on FaceTime. The person on the other end of the call can now hear what you’re saying, but instead of you, they will be greeted by your Memoji.
Note: It’s important to note that your character will imitate even simple behaviors like sticking out your tongue.
How to apply a filter in a FaceTime video call
To add a filter to your FaceTime call and spice things up, you can easily do so by following a few straightforward steps that are outlined below.
- Launch the FaceTime app on your device and start a video call with the person you want to talk to.
- Locate and tap on the Effects button to open the effects panel. It is usually located on the screen’s bottom left or right corner.
- Browse through the available filters by swiping left or right on the panel.
- Once you find a filter you like, tap on it to apply it to your video call.
- Additionally, if you want to remove the filter, tap on the X button on the top left corner of the panel.
How to add a text label to FaceTime calls
By following the steps illustrated underneath, you should be able to add, edit, and delete text labels during a call with ease.
- During a FaceTime video call, tap the screen to access additional options and tools.
- Look for the Effects button and tap it to bring up a menu of available effects.
- Locate the Text button and tap it to access the text label feature.
- Select a text label from the options presented to you.
- If you want to see more text label options, swipe up from the top of the text window to reveal additional labels.
- Once you have chosen a label, it should appear on your screen. Tap on the text label to select it.
- While the label is selected, type the text that you want to appear on the label.
- When you are finished entering the text, tap away from the label to deselect it.
If you want to move the label to a different location on the screen, drag it to the desired location. Additionally, if you want to delete the label, tap on it again to select it, then look for the Done Editing button and tap it to remove the label from your screen.
How to Add Stickers in a FaceTime Video Call
Adding some personality and fun to your calls and having a more enjoyable conversation with your friends and family is easy. Follow the simple steps below.
- Tap on your iPhone screen during a FaceTime video call.
- Locate and select the Effects button.
- You will now see a few options that you can use to add some spice to your call.
- If you want to add a Memoji sticker, simply tap on the Memoji Stickers button.
- Alternatively, if you want to add an Emoji sticker, you can go ahead and choose the Emoji Stickers button.
- If you want to add some text, tap on the Text button, swipe up, and then tap on the Emoji button.
- To add a sticker to your call, tap on the sticker you want to use.
- If you want to see more options, you can swipe left or swipe up.
To place the sticker where you want it on the call, simply drag it to the desired location. If you want to remove the sticker from the call, tap on it and then tap the Done Editing button.
How to Add Shapes to a FaceTime Video Call
Adding shapes to a video call can be a creative way to engage with others. With these simple steps, you can easily add, move, and delete shapes to enhance your video call experience.
- Once you are on the FaceTime video call, tap your iPhone screen to access the settings and features.
- After that, tap the Effects button. This will take you to a menu of different effects that you can add to your video call.
- As soon as you are on the effects menu, tap the Shapes button to access the available shape options.
- Choose the shape that you want to add to your call. You can browse through the available shapes by scrolling through the list or by swiping up from the top of the shapes window to see more options.
After selecting your desired shape, drag it to the desired location on the call screen. You can move it around until it’s in the perfect spot. If you decide you no longer want the shape on your call, simply tap it and then tap the Done Editing button. This will remove the shape from the call.
How to use Portrait mode with FaceTime
Portrait mode is a feature available on some iPhone models that creates a blurred background effect in photos and videos. Here are the steps to use Portrait mode with FaceTime:
- Launch the FaceTime app on your iPhone.
- Choose the person you want to video call on FaceTime from your contact list.
- Once you are on the video call, enable portrait mode by tapping the Portrait button located at the bottom of the screen.
Make sure the camera is at the right angle and distance to capture your face in focus while blurring the background. You can move the camera or adjust the phone’s position to achieve the desired effect.
Once you have set up the Portrait mode, you can enjoy your FaceTime call with a blurred background effect. This creates a more professional or visually pleasing look during your video call.
Note: Portrait mode works best in well-lit areas with good contrast between the subject and background.
The FaceTime feature on iPhones running iOS 17 offers an extensive selection of filters, including popular movies, TV shows, animals, and personalized Memoji options. This allows you to find a filter that perfectly matches your mood and preferences, adding to its appeal. I hope the article above helped you use filters on your FaceTime calls.